KDE's use of video memory?

Steve Snyder kdegen.10.swsnyder at spamgourmet.com
Sun Sep 28 16:17:38 BST 2003

Hello.

Does the amount of video memory installed on a system affect KDE's
performance and/or capabilities?

I have a new notebook system that has no dedicated video memory but
instead uses a portion of system memory.  The amount of system memory
reserved for video use is configurable in the BIOS and currently set to
64MB.  I'm trying to get some sense of how much "video memory" I really
need and how much is going unused.

This is on a (x86) Red Hat Linux v9 system with KDE selected as the destop
environment to use.  I realize that XFree86 uses some video memory,
probably for font caching, but I'm guessing that it's not that much
comprared to KDE.

The only reason I can think of to have lots of video memory is to contain
the textures for 3D games.  As the 3D performance of this hardware
(Radeon IGP 340M, with no DRM support) is so poor, though, I won't be
running anything like that.

I'm thinking of reducing my "video memory" from it's current 64MB to 32MB,
or maybe even 16MB.  This would provide more memory to the overall
system, which I know would be used, even if only for disk caching.
However, I don't want to starve KDE of resources that it really will use.

My desktop is running at 1024x768x32bpp.

So... how much video memory will KDE v3.1 (with XFree86 v4.3.0) really use
when running in a 2D mode?  Is there any way to measure it?

Thanks.