Special character composition

Tako Schotanus quintesse at palacio-cristal.com
Thu Sep 25 10:43:24 BST 2003

> Also, notice that you can use "US English with dead keys"
> which is handy
> for accent marks.  ä ô é  Works just like a typewriter except
> that you
> don't need the backspace and it uses the actual glyph.  You
> have to hit the
> space bar if you just want the key without a letter.

What I would like is "US English with dead keys" where you have to hold
the control or alt key or whatever before a dead key can be used. I have
written a program for Windows that does exactly that and I would love
the same possibility for KDE.

To explain a bit more, what I want is that when I type
 ' + e
it will appear as e'
but when I type
 <CTRL> + ' + e
it will appear as é

For me as a programmer the normal dead keys are a nightmare (too many
dead keys in most programming language syntax ;-) while the trick with
switching keyboard layouts is just "too much work" for me.

-Tako