Special character composition

Basil Fowler bjfowler at chanzy.eclipse.co.uk
Thu Sep 25 09:50:12 BST 2003

In the directory /etc/X11/xkb/symbols there is a set of files for very wide
set of languages.  For my purposes I have modified the French keyboard that I
normally use to extend the dead key system so as to be able to type ú and ã.

The files are in plain text format, and once done, the keyboard layout is
available for all X applications.

BTW "¿" is available with alt-gr ) , ¡ with shift+alt-gr 1 on the standard
AZERTY keyboard.

It is worth running through the alt-gr and the shift+alt-gr to see what is
available by default.

For maths and engineering, the best program is LyX, the graphical front end
for LaTeX. All necessary fonts are built in.

Hope this helps

Basil Fowler