KDE-3.2.0b1 ?

Iztok Kobal IKobal at netscape.net
Tue Oct 28 21:04:36 GMT 2003

Ze wrote:

>I see that you know install kde in the distribution

Beside the KDE in distribution, you mean ?

>I use mandrake, and the kde that comes with mandrake9.2 haves some bugs, so i
>need to upgrade kde, but there isnt any packages (rpms) for mandrake. It's
>needed to install kde from source (files tar.bz2), and i don't know how to
>make rpm.
>I already tried to install kde with the program Konstruct, but when i try to
>run kde made with kde, it simply dont run...

What did not run ? kdm or logging into new enviroment ?

>Can you help me in this matter?

If you downloaded the Konstruct and read the README, you see that you
have some meta configurations also.  You can choose the approprate one
for you, go to meta/whatever and make and probably make install too. I
am not sure.

As for me, I only need the new kde/kdelibs, basically, but I have also
compiled the kdebase, kdemultimedia and cdbakeoven. Everything went
smoothly.

Here is what I have done.

1. I am using the SuSE-8.0 with the KDE-3.0.5 shipped natively which I
did not want to break. So I have changed the "prefix" line in the
gar.conf.mk file so that it points to /usr/local/kde-3.1.92 The original
prefix is good, too, but would work only for the user under which you
build the KDE. If you prefix within the /usr/local/ you should create
the directory as root prior the KDE build and temporarily chmod 777 to
make it writable for ordinary user as the build will also install all
the stuff.
2. I have also changed the HAVE_QT_32_INSTALLED line to true since I
have it compiled before. Leave it commented out if you do not Qt-3.2.x
installed - the Konstruct will build and install it too within the
$prefix filesystem
3. I've been a little suspicious and conservative and first went to the
kde/kdelibs directory: make; make install
4. As it went OK I became braver and did the same with the kde/kdebase
and kde/kdemultimedia as well as with apps/cdbakeoven. All went smoothly.
5. I have left the kdm of the native KDE, I only added following lines
to the .bashrc of the user I wanted to run with the new KDE:

export QTDIR=/usr/local/qt-3.2.1      # that is where I have installed
the new qt-3.2.1; change to match your configuration
export KDEDIR=/usr/local/kde-3.1.92
export
QMAKESPEC=$QTDIR/mkspecs/linux-g++                                 #
only if new qt has been installed - needed for developing qt apps
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$QTDIR/lib:$KDEDIR/lib:$LD)LIBRARY_PATH
export PATH=$KDEDIR/bin:$QTDIR/bin:$PATH
export KDEHOME=~/.kde320           # to avoid user profile clashes with
the old KDE

6. logged to that user et voila !

7. If I wanted to have the new kdm instead of old one, I have simply run
the lines from above prior to running the kdm of the new KDE.

8. I had to build and install the newest autoconf-2.57 and
automake-1.7.8 prior to build the new KDE, which I suppose you need not
since you have mandrake-9.2 - or maybe I am wrong. If you need them too,
be careful to configure builds using different prefixes - I always do
such configures with --prefix=/usr/local/packagename.

Hope it helps !

Iztok