No Sound KDE

Frank frank at snapafun.co.nz
Tue Oct 14 10:04:55 BST 2003

Hi folks

You would think that with all the problems with sound in KDE a 'fix-it'
would be found in the mailing lists. Sorry, but here we go again.

Present situation :

Using the Control Center [ Mandrake9.1 - KDE3.1.3 (I think)] and hitting
the test button I get the Start Up sound (KDE) no problem.

When I first installed, I had the Start Up sound playing at KDE start up.

Trying to access too many partitions and plug and plays at the same time
caused a 'ram dump' which needed my Linux Installation to be rebooted
with the Start Up Floopy to repair damage done to my /boot partition.
Everything works fine since, except of course the sound.

I have two CDROMS, RW & R only. I drop my favourite Rock'n'Roll disk in
to either to listen to good old.............. but no sound. ie. Using
KsCD I get the LED working fine on the CDROM but there is no sound.

Using a konsole I issue : $ aumix and the GUI comes up fine, but always
with the 'mute' option checked? Either way, whatever I do with it, still
no sound.

The settings in Control Center for sound are all set to their defaults.

Close down for the night and reboot the next day............. still no
sound.

I might be a newbie but I am prepared to investigate further.

Where do I look first?

What must be in place and where for aRTsd to work correctly?

I miss my Rock'n'Roll while cruising the web. Care to help me get it back?

--
Regards

Frank

Big or small, a challenge requires the same commitment to resolve.
Registered Linux User # 324213