KDM not working.

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Tue Oct 14 08:39:32 BST 2003

Guy G wrote:
> I have installed KDE 3.1.4 from source.  When I run KDM (either from boot,
> or from the console) it works OK, until I try to login.  Whichever user I
> try with, I get the message:
>
> Critical error
> Please see KDM log for more information or contact your system
> administrator.
>
> I have looked in /var/log/kdm.log and it has nothing unusual in.  It is just
> the standard message displayed when starting X.  /var/log/XFree86.0.log also
> has run as usual.  KDM doesn't crash, it just won't let me log in.
> If I login from the console, and use startx (kde is started from an xinit
> file), KDE runs perfectly.
> Could anyone help with this matter?

Since KDE runs with: "statx" the problem must be confined to KDM and its
configuration.  NOTE FYI, the configuration and scripts for KDM are not the
same as those for: "startx".

That first thing to do is login at a console as root and execute:

	kdm

and see what happens.

Also, open the Control Center and check:

	System Administration => Login Manager

Enter: "Administrator Mode" and see if it looks OK.

--
JRT