X terminals, KDE and sound

imr free.imr at free.fr
Thu Nov 20 01:12:23 GMT 2003

On Sunday 16 November 2003 14:12, Basil Fowler wrote:
the magic word is:
ARTS_SERVER
on the sound client (aka the X server aka A):
no artsd
export ARTS_SERVER=192.168.1.2:53276  (192.168.1.2 being an exemple of the ip
of  the sound server)

on the sound server (aka the remote terminal aka B)
artsd -n -u -p53276 and other options like -F 10 -S 4096 -a alsa or -a oss
well you find out what you need and now it should work, somehow.

Issues i found out:
artsplay work only if the file is on both filesystem are at the same place.
noatun crashes on my machine (mdk9.2 kde3.1.3)
some kde apps try to launch an artsd.

Good point:
artsdsp works nicely.
for example, i replaced the use of noatun by xmms in konqueror that way:
i created a simple script:
[imr at monolith imr]$ cat /usr/local/bin/remotexmms
export ARTS_SERVER=192.168.1.15:53276
artsdsp xmms $1
and i modified mp3 to be opened by default by remotexmms and out of konqueror.
Now when i click mp3 in my remote pc, the sound go out there.