Configuring Konqueror 3.1.0 for DSL

Christian Mueller cmueller at gmx.de
Tue Nov 4 02:10:02 GMT 2003

Am Montag, 3. November 2003 16:52 schrieb Jim Bailey:
> Is there anything special I need to do to switch from a dial-up ISP to DSL?
>
> Since I made the change, I have a problem connecting to various sites.
>
> As an example, I wanted to order items and pay for them on-line.  I
> selected items and clicked on the shopping cart icon; this took me to the
> screen showing the items I selected.  At the bottom of this screen, I
> clicked on "checkout."  After a bit, I get this message:
>
> An error occured while loading
> http://www.mcssl.com/app/netcart.asp?Merchantid=24326&offerID=0:
>
> Timeout on server
> Connection was to www.mcssl.com at port 443

I tried out this one and the page it's trying to load is really
https://www.mcssl.com/app/javanof1a.asp?.....

This fits the port 443 above as this is a secure socket connection.
This seems to fail while you are able to make regular HTTP connections
(which use port 80).

> Here's another(closer to home) example:
>
> An error occured while loading
> http://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-announce:
>
> Timeout on server
> Connection was to mail.kde.org at port 443

Same here. The requested URL is a https:// one
(there's a redirect):

Three things come to mind:
- broken proxy setting for SSL connections (Are you using a proxy?
  If you do switch it off for a moment to check whether it's the culprit.
  You can do that in konqi's proxy settings)
- a firewall that blocks port 443 but lets port 80 pass through
  (Are you using one?  If you do switch it off for a moment
  to check whether it's the culprit.)
- broken SSL (probably not...)

I don't see a direct connection to your switch from dial-up to DSL
for any of these but maybe you changed something in you setup...

Christian.

--
Perl - $Just @when->$you ${thought} s/yn/tax/ &couldn\'t %get $worse;