broken default fonts in konsole

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Mon May 26 08:01:44 BST 2003

eimann at informatik.uni-bonn.de wrote:
> Hi,
>
> when I start "konsole", and choose one of the default fonts such as
> "Tiny", "Huge, etc... all I get is an empty window with only the cursor
> being visible. "konsole" still reacts to my inputs ("exit") and when I
> choose a user defined font I can even see something, so I suppose it's
> some problem with the default fonts.
>
> Can anybody help me with this? I'm using 3.1.1 on SuSE 8.1.

Do you have FontConfig installed?

I don't know what would cause you to get nothing since Qt would
default to Helvetica if it couldn't find the correct font and pick the
first font on the list if it couldn't fine Helvetica.

The problem I had was that FontConfig didn't seem to cache the fonts in:

	/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/

Do you have a file:

	/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/fonts.cache-1

If so, remove it and run as root:

	fc-cache -v

and see what it says about that directory.

Then there is another problem that I had.  There is another font
(Medium I think):

	$KDEDIR/share/fonts/9x15.pcf.gz

If $KDEDIR isn't: "/usr" you may need to add the directory to the
configure file for FontConfig or make a link.  I found that I needed
to ungzip this font to get it to work.

--
JRT