KMail system notifications

Paul Yunusov pyunusov at rogers.com
Fri May 16 18:01:12 BST 2003

On Thursday 15 May 2003 05:43 pm, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> On Thursday 15 May 2003 23:30, Thorsten Giese wrote:
> > I use Kmail, to retrieve Mails in several Mailboxes and sort; only a
> > few go to the inbox. But I don't want a sound event whenever a
> > Mailinglist gets a new Message, I just want to be notified, when the
> > Inbox gets a new message. The system event notification list for KMail
> > ist quite short. Any workaround or clue?
>
> Hmm. Do you use filters to move mailinglist mails to different folders?
> If yes, you could add a second filter action to the filters.
> Use action type "execute command" and as the command use something like
> "artsplay /path/to/file/sound.wav"

This will associate an audible alert with filters but the problem is messages
not managed by any filters cannot have an action associated with them in the
current version of KMail, AFAIK.

The OP can't get regular new messages in the inbox to cause an alert and I had
the same problem. Unless you describe a kind of messages (such as mailing
list posts) with a filter, there is no way to associate an action with them.

Is there a workaround to this?

Paul