Part II re: RE-setting the Panel (att: Waldo, Kevin, Basil, Joerg)

Daniel daniel__gauthier at yahoo.com
Tue May 13 15:05:56 BST 2003

Hello all:

This is a note to let you guys know that I haven't given up
 on re-setting the KPanel back to what it was before I
*screwed up* everything, but I haven't been able to do it
so far.

S_________o, first, let me all thank you for all the
pointers you gave me.  It makes the transition from
Micro$oft Windoze to Linux worth the efforts.

It will probably take me few days to work on this setting
problem therefore if I don't keep you updated quickly it is
just a matter of avaibility.

Having said that, here is the result of the first option I
attempted (this suggestion came from Joerg):

                --------------- snip ----------------

> application. Press Alt-F2 and enter 'konsole'. This will
> start a
> terminal.
> - in the terminal window enter 'kicker &'. If you get a
> message
> like 'ERROR: kicker is already running'  you know the
> problem is
> somewhere else. If you get a different message without
> the panel
> starting this could be a hint what the problem is.

Here is the message I received when trying this option:

          =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

daniam at mycomp:~$ kicker &
[1] 528
daniam at mycomp:~$ ERROR: Error accessing CD-Rom
device(/dev/cdrom). Correct permissions ?
ERROR: KUniqueApplication: DCOP communication error!

[1]+  Exit 255                kicker
daniam at mycomp:~$

                  =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Question:

Aside from the error message about being unable to access
the CD-Rom, would the DCOP (which stands for what?)
communication error have anything to do with re-setting the
Panel?

Conclusion so far:  Since I received various hints, I'll
explore the other options provided to me by Waldo, Kevin
and Basil AND keep you posted.

More later.

Daniel.