Luke Chatburn lchatburn at isset.org
Thu May 8 22:18:39 BST 2003

Just a thought, on a related note.

I found what I consider to be a bug in Mozilla a while ago. If you define a
metric with a space between the numeric portion and the units, it breaks. I
was using layers and had positions of, for example:

left: 109 px;

Instead of:

left: 109px;

Which is should have been, according to the W3C spec. The result in Mozilla
was that all my layers congregated in a big lump in the corner of the page
and I couldn't figure out why they wouldn't move. I reported it as a bug,
they decided that the W3C spec mentioned nothing about a space and they
couldn't be bothered to change the parser, so I should be more careful next
time. I stopped using Mozilla at that point.

In short, I'm a very happy user of Konqy, every day at work and home, and
being anal about W3C compliance can have some nasty side-effects that make
the experience difficult for designers. The argument "Should we really
support broken code just because IE does?" is a fair one, but often the
world doesn't care whether an extra space is in the spec or not...

It has to be said, though, that so far, Konqy really has hit a happy medium
:)

-Luke