Memory leaks?

Michael D Green linux at saesolved.com
Fri Mar 28 13:51:56 GMT 2003

It appears as if some software I use routinely has a memory leak. And that my
system does not clean up the resultant garbage.

I'm running KDE 3.0.5 with SuSE 8.0.

KDE System Guard shows that over a period of an hour or so (perhaps much less)
after startup the physical memory usage increases to very near the maximum
available (384 MB) and swap memory starts to be used. With time the amount of
swap memory being used increases, but never seems to decrease. And the
physical memory stays near saturation. It will decrease a little when I shut
down an application. But there seems to be some overall rachetting, which
makes me think there is a memory leak somewhere.

I normally keep the Mozilla (1.3) mail client, KMail, KArm, Opera, KDE System
Guard, Konsole, and Konqueror open constantly, and frequently also have Kate
and/or Quanta Plus open. I am also running Klipper, KDiskFree, KMix, KDE
Keyboard Tool, and the Clock in the "tray."

That there would be a memory leak in some package is not amazing. I expect
that with time the developers will correct these.

What I would like to be able to do is free up the memory that is not being
used (physical and swap). I suspect there is a way to do this that is easier
than rebooting the machine. Perhaps there is even an application which can do
it for me.

Pointers will be appreciated.

TIA!

Mike Green