Multiple menu items on kcontrol/konqueror/kmail

Sumedh Wale sumwale at softhome.net
Tue Mar 25 08:28:03 GMT 2003

Hi everyone,
  I am having some small problems in KDE 3.1.x. First, there are multiple menu
item entries in kcontrol/konqueror/kmail; e.g. in kcontrol Help menu there are
multiple entries for About Current Module. Similiarly konqueror toolbar has
all icons repeated twice. I compiled KDE from source using gcc 3.2.2 on a
debian (3.0) system.
  I managed to get rid of these by looking through the kparts .rc files and
adding noMerge="1" where duplicates were visible. But i am sure that this is
not a bug in KDE, rather some other weird problem (this problem shows up in
3.1.0 and 3.1.1, not tried 3.0.x). It also occurs in some KDE games (kmines
...) and maybe others which i haven't run.
  Another problem is with bookmarks in konqueror which sometimes are not
editable (i.e. add to bookmark doesn't work). This problem seemingly surfaces
when the bookmarks.xml file becomes zero in size, which in turn happens
randomly; i.e. sometimes the bookmarks get wiped out and bookmarks.xml
becomes zero sized file. (i guess something to do with .backup files; if i
remove bookmarks.xml.backup file this happens). This problem of
.backup files also shows with kshishen game, which quits with a message
"Cannot load pixmaps!" and moves kshisen.xpm (in $KDEDIR/share/apps/kshishen)
to kshishen.xpm.backup. I have write access to this directory, and if the
write access to the directory is removed then it works fine.

I guess these problems point to some other problem as surely these cannot be
KDE bugs.
Apart from these the new KDE works wonderfully...

Thanks in advance.
sumedh.