HELP PLEASE: Where are the times and helvetic fonts in RH 8.0???

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Mon Mar 24 23:31:16 GMT 2003

Alex wrote:
> At some months ago I installed the RH 8.0, I think the complete instalation, and I built some routines to print text to printer using QT3. Due to some problems I cleaned the hard disk and installed the RH 8.0 again. Now when I try to execute those routines the font in the prints become too big!!!
> I search in the system and the times and helvetic fonts are not there!!!
>
> Any ideas???

Yes...

PostScript (Type 1) Times & Helvetica do NOT come with the Linux distro.

XFree86 includes *bit mapped* versions of them which shouldn't be used for PostScript printing.

You can either:

1.	Purchase them from BitStream.

2.	Bend the EULA and install them from Adobe Acrobat Reader 3.x for Windows:

	ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/acrobatreader/win/3.x/ar302.exe

and the the AFM files here:

	ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/type/win/all/afmfiles/900-960/950/

Remember to convert the file names to all lower case before installing them.

3.	"Borrow" the fonts from the Web.  Google for: HV______.PFB & TIR_____.PFB (additional words
such as: "index &/| "acrobat" will help).    You still need the AFM files from the Adobe FTP.

4.	Use the URW clones of the 35 standard PostScript fonts.  Get them here:

	http://www.gimp.org/urw-fonts.tar.gz

This package comes with a: "fonts.scale" & "fonts.dir" file to make them appear to be the Adobe
fonts, so don't do an install, just unpack in a new direcory (e.g.
"/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/URW/") and add that directory to your font path.

--
JRT