kde3.1 Updating ?

Markus Deistler msdeistler at freenet.de
Mon Mar 17 13:33:32 GMT 2003

On Son, 2003-03-16 um 11.53 Frank wrote:

> " [root at localhost KDELIB]# rpm -Uvh --test kdelibs-3.1-58mdk.i586.rpm
> " error: failed dependencies:

> "         libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.3)   is needed by kdelibs-3.1-58mdk
> "         libstdc++.so.5(GLIBCPP_3.2.2)   is needed by kdelibs-3.1-58mdk

There is also a new version of glibc and libstdc++ required .. the
upgrade reaches the very heart of your linux-installation, so I
recommend to prepare a backup or a rescue disk ... just in case glibc
gets lost somehow, one never knows ...;

If you upgrade to a new glibc it's possible that some apps won't work
anymore. I found that rpm was segfaulting after I *replaced* glibc-2.2.5
with 2.3.1, whenever I tried to 'rpm -i' or to 'rpm -e' some stuff and
had to rebuild/install rpm from source in oder to fix it ... .

I think just to avoid such rebuilds it's also possible to keep different
versions of those libs. There is a nice Glibc-Howto on www.tldp.org ...;

For libstdc++ that's necessary anyway, because just an upgrade of
libstdc++ will break *a lot* of apps (basically everything which is
based on source written in c++). I moved the the old libstdc++-stuff
(the lib itself and all symlinks) to another directory, added that
directory's path to ld.so.conf and run '/sbin/ldconfig -v'. If
mozilla/galeon and friends still work, everything is fine and you might
install the newer libstdc++!

Markus