some questions regarding KDE vs. GNOME cooperations.

Luke Chatburn lchatburn at isset.org
Tue Mar 11 12:05:43 GMT 2003

Hiya...

I'll just quickly wade in here... :)

GConf... People are currently having problems with it in technical terms, so
the jury is still out on that. Registries have advantages for coders, but
they are less intuitive for users than a control dialog in their app and a
control center. Config files also have portability and reliability benefits.

wrt KControl!:

The current idea is as follows:
The control center modules are being examined, cleaned up and reorganised to
make the layout intuitive. Having different levels of controls (Beginner,
Advanced, Expert) doesn't work from a task-set standpoint and confuses the
heck out of users. A number of people are looking at more visual navigation
methods. Personally, I'm cleaning up the styles/windows decs/colours stuff
at the moment to provide a unified and obvious place to change how your
windows look.

I've said it before, I'll say it again:

Users like options. Too many options in a confused layout makes configuring
things hard. You can cure this by removing lots of options (users don't
like), or just by reorganising them into a better layout. *A good layout of
options will feel the same to a user as simplification!*

Can this be done? KDE 3.2, we'll find out :)

I must say, I see a lot of Gnome users mooting that KDE devels should use
Gnome technologies, just because; yet there is no mention of Gnome using
KParts, DCOP or any of the features that make KDE easy and useful to develop
for, and ultimately offer a great deal of power to users.

And yes, it has to be said, credit where credit is due... QT is just a very,
very good toolkit. Producing KDE apps is child's play. I mean, if I can use
it (let's just say my C/C++/general coding skills are less than 1337),
anyone can, right? :)

-Luke