Bad opcode makes mouse perform random actions or freeze

Yun Zhou innerguy at mod.homelinux.org
Tue Mar 11 03:04:41 GMT 2003

>From time to time, the mouse cursor just seems to "jump" around, doing random
things, such as move from one corner of the screen to another, even
performing 'clicking' actions on items. At some points, it even freezes
entirely, and I have to use ctrl+alt+F key in order to switch to another
terminal, and back to F7, and then the cursor works fine.

Every time this happens, KDE spits out the following error message:

"WARNING: KDE detected X error: BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes) 8
 Major Opcode: 62"

How do I go about fixing this? It's getting REALLY annoying having to switch
terminals every 3-4 minutes (since I mostly use keyboard and konsole, it
didn't show up until recently, when I had to use the mouse a lot more to play
games)

I'm using a PS/2 mouse with XFree86 4.2.1 and KDE 2.2.2

Thanks in advance!