Access control to aRts/sound card

Stephen Mollett molletts at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 10 22:19:19 GMT 2003

Hi,

Is there any easy way to restrict access to a sound card in a system to local
users only?

I've got a box with KDE 3.1 (ALSA 0.9 sound drivers) which accepts local XDM
logons and acts as a host for several old PCs acting as X terminals. However,
all the boings and pings from the remote sessions come through the local
sound card, which is annoying, especially for someone like me who hates
'notification sounds' and prefers to turn them all off and use the sound card
purely for music or video soundtracks.

Tnx

Stephen