Treat CF card like a floppy

Steven Whatley swhatley at hal-pc.org
Fri Mar 7 04:55:43 GMT 2003

Anh,

Now that is a *much* better answer than just "This isn't a KDE related
topic".  If KDE is *not* the best way to do it then that is fine with me
and satifies my request.  Your advice is very helpful.  I'll check out
hotplug and look over www.linux-usb.org more thoroughly.

Thanks,
Steven

On Thu, 6 Mar 2003, Anh Lai wrote:
> If the docs on www.linux-usb.org relating to USB-STORAGE were read, it would
> be known that KDE is not the answer to mounting a CF or External Storage
> device automagically correctly, or reliably.
>
> So, the correct way is to modify /etc/fstab in this fashion:
> /dev/sdb1 /mnt/usbcf vfat 1 2 or /dev/sda1 /mnt/usbcf vfat 1 2 (assuming
> /mnt/usbcf exists)
> or some fashion close to that.
> You must have usb-storage, scsi support/emulation compiled in the kernel.
>
> Install hotplug correctly since it will auto mount the CF reader for you.
> Notice KDE is not involved?
> plug in the reader.
>
> #cd /mnt/usbcf
> #ls
>
> and you see your files.
>
> if you want KDE involved, make a link to /mnt/usbcf on your desktop and you
> have a link to the CF card whenever it's plugged.
>
> Hotplug + usb-storage will automount the card for you, NOT KDE.
>

> [ On Wednesday 05 March 2003 07:35 pm, Jeff Elkins wrote ]
> > On Wednesday 05 March 2003 8:20 pm, Anh Lai wrote:
> > >You should research usb devices at http://www.linux-usb.org or
> > >http://hotplug.sourceforge.net
> > >
> > >This is not a KDE question.
> > >
> > >[ On Tuesday 04 March 2003 09:45 pm, Steven Whatley wrote ]

> > Nonsense.
> >
> > Stephen was asking about using KDE desktop procedures to automate a task.
> >
> > Jeff Elkins

> --
> did someone burn my pork chop?

                <<<((__O\   (__<>___<>__ \   ____     Don't get rattled by
Steven Whatley         \ \_(__<>___<>__)\O\_/O___>-<  what I say.  It's just
swhatley at hal-pc.org     \O__<>___<>___<>)\___/        my opinion.