Treat CF card like a floppy

Anh Lai anhlai at speakeasy.net
Fri Mar 7 01:23:58 GMT 2003

If the docs on www.linux-usb.org relating to USB-STORAGE were read, it would
be known that KDE is not the answer to mounting a CF or External Storage
device automagically correctly, or reliably.

So, the correct way is to modify /etc/fstab in this fashion:
/dev/sdb1 /mnt/usbcf vfat 1 2 or /dev/sda1 /mnt/usbcf vfat 1 2 (assuming
/mnt/usbcf exists)
or some fashion close to that.
You must have usb-storage, scsi support/emulation compiled in the kernel.

Install hotplug correctly since it will auto mount the CF reader for you.
Notice KDE is not involved?
plug in the reader.

#cd /mnt/usbcf
#ls

and you see your files.

if you want KDE involved, make a link to /mnt/usbcf on your desktop and you
have a link to the CF card whenever it's plugged.

Hotplug + usb-storage will automount the card for you, NOT KDE.

[ On Wednesday 05 March 2003 07:35 pm, Jeff Elkins wrote ]
> On Wednesday 05 March 2003 8:20 pm, Anh Lai wrote:
> >You should research usb devices at http://www.linux-usb.org or
> >http://hotplug.sourceforge.net
> >
> >This is not a KDE question.
> >
> >[ On Tuesday 04 March 2003 09:45 pm, Steven Whatley wrote ]

> >> I forgot to mention that I am using KDE 3.0.5a.  I'll still check to see
> >> if the option there.  Also, the CF card reader is a USB device.
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Steven
>
> Nonsense.
>
> Stephen was asking about using KDE desktop procedures to automate a task.
>
> Jeff Elkins

did someone burn my pork chop?