Long names problem in KDE

Christian Mueller cmueller at gmx.de
Mon Jul 28 20:46:43 BST 2003

Am Montag, 28. Juli 2003 12:29 schrieb Fabien3D:
> Hi !
> I've got a new problem with KDE 3.1 installed with Mandrake 9.1. The Galaxy
> theme is installed, but I noticed that the long names do not appear in
> Konquereor neither for the files or folders created with WindowsXP. I first
> thought it was a display problem, but copying two files in a folder, with
> identical beginning overwrites the first one ! For instance, if I try to
> copy these two files in the same folder on a FAT32 disk :
>
> blender-2.28-linux-glibc2.2.5-i386-static.tar.gz
> blender-2.28-windows.exe
>
> the second file overwrites the first one, and the filename is shortcut.
> What can I do to have the long names used by GNU/Linux ?

Could you check the respective line for this filesystem in your /etc/fstab file?
What's the filesystem type used (The third column)?
Make sure it's not msdos!

From http://unixhelp.ed.ac.uk/CGI/man-cgi?fs+5
msdos  is the filesystem used by DOS,  Windows,  and  some
              OS/2  computers.   msdos filenames can be no longer
              than 8 characters, followed by an  optional  period
              and 3 character extension.
vfat   is  an  extended  DOS  filesystem used by Microsoft
              Windows95 and Windows NT.  VFAT adds the capability
              to use long filenames under the MSDOS filesystem.