kde application "kompare" won't run anymore

Otto Bruggeman bruggie at home.nl
Sat Jul 26 17:23:40 BST 2003

On Wednesday 16 July 2003 09:41, Juergen Beisert wrote:
> Hello all,

Hi (sorry or the late reply, i dont read the kde list, i am only subscribed to
it and sometimes search in it for interesting keywords like kompare)

> yesterday I have worked a few hours with "kompare" (kde 3.1). No problem,
> it is a powerful tool.

Thanks :)

> Then I have change the rank, so "kompare" is now the first application to
> work with files *.dif (before that, "kwrite" was the first application).
> And I have changed the icon for files of types *.dif. Since I have done it,
> "kompare" won't run anymore.

I assume you did this with the File Associations KControl module ?

> If I start it without any parameter it show the small dialog to select two
> files to compare, but after that I get an small error box:
>
> Title: "Fehler - kompare"
> Message: "Komponente nicht gefunden"
>
> (Sorry, I have locate KDE to german. Means (I think so):
> Title: "Error - kompare"
> Message: "Component not found")

This error means that kompare cant find the komparepart, something must have
fucked up the desktop files, try deleting komparepart.desktop (there might be
a _ between kompare and part) from your $KDEHOME (usually ~/.kde/) directory.
Then if you can edit the komparepart.desktop file in the $KDEDIR (/opt/kde3
or /usr/something) and put Preferences = 100 or so in it. The same goes for
kompare.desktop.

> After I "press" the ok-button in this message box, the program ends.
>
> Same when I start "kompare" with on parameter (a diff-file).
> If I start it from console I get the message:
>
>   kompare: Url is: <my filename>
>
> then the message box appears and the program ends after pressing the
> ok-button.
>
> I have tried with strace, there are many missing files, that kompare tries
> to open, but most of them are icons.
>
> What is kompare missing?

See above.

> Thanks in advance for any suggestion