kde application "kompare" won't run anymore

Juergen Beisert jbeisert at eurodsn.de
Wed Jul 16 08:41:46 BST 2003

Hello all,

yesterday I have worked a few hours with "kompare" (kde 3.1). No problem, it
is a powerful tool.
Then I have change the rank, so "kompare" is now the first application to work
with files *.dif (before that, "kwrite" was the first application). And I
have changed the icon for files of types *.dif. Since I have done it,
"kompare" won't run anymore.

If I start it without any parameter it show the small dialog to select two
files to compare, but after that I get an small error box:

Title: "Fehler - kompare"
Message: "Komponente nicht gefunden"

(Sorry, I have locate KDE to german. Means (I think so):
Title: "Error - kompare"
Message: "Component not found")

After I "press" the ok-button in this message box, the program ends.

Same when I start "kompare" with on parameter (a diff-file).
If I start it from console I get the message:

  kompare: Url is: <my filename>

then the message box appears and the program ends after pressing the
ok-button.

I have tried with strace, there are many missing files, that kompare tries to
open, but most of them are icons.

What is kompare missing?

Thanks in advance for any suggestion
-- JB