Saving Volume levels, Kmix and ALSA.

James Henry Maiewski jhm at mtdata.com
Sat Jul 19 10:52:18 BST 2003

Hello,

        Maybe somebody can help me understand this.

        When I clicked on the src.rpm icon for the package (on a mounted CD),
I was
having problems (I can't remember what they were exactly now [I know, I get
an F for clarity]), so I copied the RPM to disk then clicked it there,
everything seemed to work (gurpmi was used automatically).  There was no
there there, however, nothing in /usr/src/RPM/SOURCES, and an "everything
already installed" message when I tried it again.

        Acting on a friendly suggestion from this list, experimented with the
rpm
program.  'rpm -V foo.src.rpm' informed me that the package wasn't installed,
but 'rpm -vi foo.src.rpm' [as root] gave me "rpm: foo.src.rpm."  No joy.

        'urpmi --install-src foo.src.rpm' seems to have done the trick.  Do my
travails seem consistent at all?  are .src RPMs handled differently?  Can one
'unpack' an RPM without trying to install it, or is that a contradiction?

        Anyway,

As always, rojo de vergüenza,
        Jim.