debugging KDE startup

Robert P. Goldman rpgoldman at sift.info
Fri Jul 18 17:39:29 BST 2003

I'm running Mandrake 9.1 with a KDE desktop.  I've been having some
troubles with my environment, and that led me to look into my
~/.xsession-errors file.  I find a mess of KDE errors, but alas, I
don't know how to fix them.  Here's what I find.  I'd appreciate any
suggestions.  Note that I once had a KDE 2.0.1 on this same machine,
so perhaps I have obsolete startup stuff in ~/.kde.  But I don't know
how to get rid of it.

I'm particularly interested in fixing the startup because I /think/
one of these errors may be sabotaging some of the setup in my
~/.xsession file.  I put an echo line in there that never seems to
run: the output never appears in ~/.xsession-error.  IIUC the Mandrake
startup script, standard output and standard error from the X startup
process should go to .xsession-errors.

Thanks,

Here's .xsession-errors, slightly tidied up:

Running update-menus...done
startkde: Starting up...
kbuildsycoca running...
kdecore (KLibLoader): WARNING: KLibrary: /usr/lib/libkdecore.so.4: undefined symbol: init_fonts
ERROR: kmix: Mixer cannot be found.
Please check that the soundcard is installed and that
the soundcard driver is loaded.

[The above repeated 8 times.  Note that kmix /does/ come up and
/does/ function correctly, as does XMMS.  So I'm not sure why these
error messages.]

[...snip...]

mcop warning: user defined signal handler found for SIG_PIPE, overriding
mcop warning: user defined signal handler found for SIG_PIPE, overriding

kdecore (KAction): WARNING: KAction::updateShortcut(): name = "unnamed", cut = ; No KAccel, probably missing a parent collection.

[The above repeated 6 times.]

QLayout "unnamed" added to QButtonGroup "ButtonGroup_2", which already has a layout

kdecore (KAction): WARNING: KAction::plugAccel(): call to deprecated action.

[The above repeated 10 times.]

ERROR: kmix: Mixer cannot be found.
Please check that the soundcard is installed and that
the soundcard driver is loaded.

[The above repeated another 8 times.]

QClipboard::setData: Cannot set X11 selection owner for PRIMARY

QClipboard: Unknown SelectionNotify event received

[The above repeated 8 times.]