kwin behavior

Steve Letter letter at austin.apc.slb.com
Thu Jul 17 18:15:15 BST 2003

We have an application that was originally written to be run under mwm.
We have a bug report from the field that windows operate differently
under kwin and I am looking for some way to change the behavior.

Here is the situation.  All windows are motif based (openmotif 2.1).
The main application window is opened.  It, in turn, opens another
window.  That new window opens a modal dialog box.

Under mwm, the main application window would still respond to events
(drop down menus, etc.)  Under kwin (and, for that matter, every other
window manager I could find) none of the application windows are active
until the modal dialog is dismissed.

Is there a way to (no, I'm not offering to add functionality to kwin :)
change the default kwin behavior, making it more mwm like?