KDE & printing margins

gilson r gilsonr at highstream.net
Thu Jul 17 01:35:12 BST 2003

Hi!

Sorry, I couldn't decide whether this subject would be best on this list or
kde-print... (both?)

I know how to change the margins when using OpenOffice; I can't find a
place/way of doing it for when I use Kate or KEdit (which  often can be more
extensively than OO.). I've read all the (meager) help files and perused the
files in /etc, /home and /usr/share, and I can't find it!

_Mandrake-9.0 KDE-3.0 Kate-2.0 KWrite-4.0 KEdit-1.3_
M-9.0 has a neat XPrintingPanel-1.1 which allows all kinds of adjustments,
except they have no bearing at all on Kate or the others. In /home/gr/.kde,
/katerc, /keditrc, /kwriterd change many parameters, but nothing to do with
the physical printing. /etc/cups/ppd/cbj.ppd sets many parameters, but as far
as I can see, no effect on Kate or KWrite. Result: I can't change the
margins! And I can't use KEdit (which before I liked so much) because now it
comes with ugly/wasteful header and footer which I couldn't find how to
eliminate.

_RedHat-8.0 KDE-3.0.3 Kate-2.0 KWrite-4.0 KEdit-1.3_
Still in the "dark age" days when /keditrc had a meager "KPrinter Settings"
without provision to delete the H&F. Good thing neither Kate nor KWrite has
them to begin with. No provision I can find to change margins. RedHat Printer
Config gui changes the paper size, but not the margins.

_Mandrake-9.1 KDE-3.1 Kate-2.1 KWrite-4.1 KEdit-1.3_
Great improvement for the better! (Not all "improvements" are so fortunate.)
Both /katerc and /kwriterc come with an expanded "KPrinter Settings" which
allows for the removal of the obnoxious header and footer. Removing H&F in
/katerc has no effect on Kate *unless* they're *also* removed in /kwriterc
(if that makes sense, it escapes me.) Even less sense: there's no way in
/keditrc to remove H&F! (So, as far as I'm concerned, I can't use KEdit.)
Last--but not least!--"KPrinter Settings" have no control over margins. The
great improvement is that, when printing is called up, both Kate and Kwrite
guis have a tab for margins. The way it should have always been!

Finally, an interesting "feature" with them all: if, in the printer config
gui, I set the paper size to (as some call it) "American foolscap" _and_ in
the editor printing gui to "US Legal," the first line actually printed, at
the very top of the page, is (gasp!) line no. 5, and the first page ends on
line 71 (leaving a 1-5/8 margin at the bottom); then, page 2 begins with line
75. Therefore, I can't use legal-sized paper at all.

Not only I can't change margins, I can't print on legal-sized paper either!

--
Regards,
g.r.