kde fonts

Pere Constans constans at ruf.rice.edu
Wed Jul 9 05:21:25 BST 2003

A Dimarts 08 Juliol 2003 04:404am, liste at hgfelger.de va escriure:
> > I have a precompiled application that I need to use, and now shows no
> > font at all. I read something that this can happen if it was compiled
> > using tt (it worked in my first install).

this is working, I changed the line

font=Adobe Helvetica,10,-1,5,50,0,0,0,0,0

for

font=Fangsong Ti,10,-1,5,48,0,0,0,0,0

in ~/.qt/qtrc

I think Hartwig that this has to do with this problem you are facing. I got it
work using qtconfig (actually that application was a qt-app). Turning on/off
anti-aliasing there made some fonts 'disapear', from qtconfig and kde-font
chooser (i haven't touch font-installer!) as well. Removing qtrc they appear
again -it changes the namings, but also something else regarding aa.

You could try to compile qt3.1.2 locally, then moving /usr/lib/qt3 to
/usr/lib/qt3-tmp, and creating a link /usr/lib/qt3 pointing to your qt3.1.2.
(keeping a copy of ~/.qt) If something goes wrong, just restore
/usr/lib/qt3-tmp from a console. Shouldn't be dangerous, since only the
moving of this directory is under root. (if you try it, think on the switch
/configure -no-stl, to be compatible with suse's pluggings; also don't move
qt to a different path from where you compile it, otherwise won't find the
libs)

Then you can safely play with kde-font chooser and qtconfig, both write to
qtrc. Changing back and forth aa you could see whats going on. Usually kde
modifies qtconfig at startup... this could explain that behavior you say
that's changing in a new session)

I've aa working, but only some fonts. Others, eg helvetica, stay all the time
'aliased'.
And, I need to add that peculiar font each time a plan to use this
application, after a restart...

.. so, somehow disappointed, the previous suse8.0 + kde 3.1.2 had an
excellent display and fonts, but not this 8.2  + 3.1.2.

 may be something in the xfree?

Thanks,

Pere