How does KDE store changes to the K menu?

Yun Zhou innerguy at mod.homelinux.org
Sun Jan 26 17:57:10 GMT 2003

On Sunday 26 January 2003 11:25 am, Chris Jewell wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Two questions really - about KDE 3.0:
>
> a) where does KDE store the changes one makes to the K menu and taskbar?
>  I can't seem to find anything very useful in the .kde directory in my
> home directory.
>
> b) how can I change the K menu default settings so that users can have a
> more suitable K menu without having to edit it themselves (being only
> just technically minded enough themselves to just about log in to a
> Linux machine!).
>
> Thanks,
>
> Chris Jewell

About question 1. Since you're using kde3, I would think the home
subdirectory for the prefs and defaults is located in '~/.kde3'. I haven't
verified this, but it's true for kde2. The .kde directory is actually the
prefs for old kde1 applications, therefore there isn't much in there.

As for question 2, I'm not quite sure about this. My guess would be that
there is some sort of default file in the '/opt/kde3/share/' directory (If
you're using SuSE, I'm not sure about the rest).