Controlling changes to user settings

Basil Fowler bjfowler at chanzy.fsnet.co.uk
Sun Jan 5 09:20:35 GMT 2003

A few extra comments.

KDE should be installed system wide by root in either /usr/ or /opt
directories ( distro dependent ) This provides a locked system.  But in
addition, each user has a .kde directory in his/her /home directory.  This is
under the user and that user only's control.  Such thing as backgrounds or
font sizes can be set individually.

The user can do what he / she likes within the personal directory, but at the
worst can only foul up his / her personal nest.  The key files will remain
untouched.  This is one reason why Linux is virus resitant.

You might also read up about the Red Hat User Private Group system, which
simplifies the administration of sets of files where only a sub-group of
users are allowed access.

Remember that Linux is a Unix clone, and Unix was designed from ground up as a
multi user system.  Such problems of access and control has been encounted
and solved before Bill Gates had even bought his first Altair, and there was
no such thing as a GUI.

Indeed many of the features of MS-DOS 2 were poached directly from UNIX!!

Another point - Linux-KDE is rather like the MS-DOS 6 / Windows 3.1
combination.  The GUI is NOT integrated with the OS ( Linux ).  As JRT says,
control is applied at the OS level, so you should master the simple console
commands.  In the case of trouble, it is a relief not to have to the
additional rigidity and complexity of a GUI to consider.

In my system I always boot into a text mode console, log in to the console,
and then start the GUI separately form the command line.

For certain applications, such as servers, a GUI is unnecessary, and it is not
used.

Hope this helps

Basil Fowler