dual-head problem

Malte S. Stretz msquadrat.nospamplease at gmx.net
Tue Feb 25 10:49:45 GMT 2003

On Tuesday 25 February 2003 11:31 CET Henning Holtschneider wrote:
> Am Mon, 2003-02-24 um 21.37 schrieb liontechie:
> > As far as I know it could only be accomplished with xinerama.
>
> Hmm, but Xinerama will always stretch my virtual desktop together with
> the KDE panel, background etc.to the second screen resulting in double
> resolution hrizontally (assuming that I align the monitors
> horizontally).

In KDE 3.1 the Panel is now shown on one display only. IIRC is it also
possible to configure your wallpaper that way.

> The non-4:3 aspect ratio will confuse many programs.

Which ones? I use X with a pretty weird config (two screens, the left one at
1024x768, the right at 800x600 with a virtual size of 800x768) for more
than a year now and had almost no problems till now. The only one I can
think of is krdc in full screen mode. Oh, and some old version of XFree86
had a bug which made it calculate the horizontal dpi incorrectly (75x150),
resulting in stretched fonts but that's fixed for some time now.

>[...]

Cheers,
Malte