Are there any diffs/patches to update from kde-3.0.5 to kde-3.1.0????

Rainer Wirtz rainer.wirtz at gmx.de
Fri Feb 7 04:37:01 GMT 2003

Am Donnerstag, 6. Februar 2003 20:20 schrieb Nicolai Stange:

> I've got the following problem: I've downloaded the whole kde-3.0.5
> stuff and qt-3.1.0.
> It didn't work very well together ;).
> So I looked it up within the Installation Instructions and as I
> figured out they both are incompatible.
> Either qt-3.0.x and kde-3.0.5 or qt-3.1.0 and kde-3.1.0 (by the way,
> he SOURCES are meant). might be compiled in combination.
> So I don't want to download the whole kde-stuff nor want I to wait
> days and days for qt-3.0.5 to compile...
> My question: Can I download some diff/patch stuff that just updates
> my sources from version
> 3.0.5 to 3.1.0????

AFAIK, there are no diffs, but you should be able to use CVS to update
your source-tree. At least it works with the tar-files from my
suse-CDs. Look at developer.kde.org for instruction. You can leave out
the initial check-out "cvs co <modul-name>". Instead, cd into each
subdirectory (kdelibs, kdebase...) and do a "cvs update -r
KDE_3_1_0_RELEASE" instead. This updates your sources to 3.1.0 and
later, when 3.1.1 comes out, you can update just as easy again.
For kde-i18n, do a "cvs update -l -r KDE_3_1_0_RELEASE", this updates
only the kde-i18n basedirectory, then do a "cvs update -r
KDE_3_1_0_RELEASE de admin" to update only the subdirectory for german
(de, choose your language).This way you don't need to download 100MB of
russian, turkish and chinese. Edit the file subdirs accordingly.

Note the you can *not* use KDE_3_1_0_RELEASE for arts and Koffice, those
are tagged different. I use no tag (giving me the leading edge) for
arts, and KOFFICE_1_2_1_RELEASE for koffice.
If you want to, you can use KDE_3_1_0_BRANCH, in order to always have
the newest bugfixes. I just updated my sources from 3.1.0rc6 to
3.1.0-final this way, took 10 min. on a 56k connection.

For the first compilation, I recommend:
make -f admin/Makefile.common cvs-clean	(to delete old Makefiles etc.)
make -f Makefile.cvs
./configure
make
(su) make install