what do i do with seemingly random crashes?

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Mon Feb 3 09:52:00 GMT 2003

gabriel wrote:
> i was using kmail today when it just plain crashed -- seemingly
> without
> reason.  i have no idea how to duplicate this, but it did spit out a
> bunch of
> crash info supplied by the kde crash handler.  ...is this stuff of any
> use to
> anyone?

Only if you compiled KDE yourself with full debugging information. If
the backtrace contains a lot of "(no debugging symbols found)..." and
you don't know how you provoked the crash then don't bother to submit a
bug report since we won't be able to fix a bug with such little
information.

Currently there seems to be a problem in khtml which is used by KMail to
render HTML messages. If the backtrace you got contains something like
this
#6 0x40199392 in khtml::Loader::servePendingRequests ()
 from /usr/lib/libkhtml.so.4
then you are just another victim of the same bug. Disabling HTML
rendering should prevent this problem.

Regards,
Ingo