Extra command when mounting memory cards?

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Tue Dec 30 14:19:16 GMT 2003

On Tuesday 30 December 2003 10:50, Hadmut Danisch wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 30, 2003 at 01:25:30AM -0800, Dejan Cabrilo wrote:
> > You can write a simple shell script. Just open a new blank ascii file,
> > enter the commands you need to be executed (one in each line), finish
> > with 'exit 0' (in the last line). chmod that file to 755. Then, create a
> > 'Link to Application' on the desktop. Make it execute the shell script
> > you have written, and make sure to check 'Run in terminal' option.
> >
> > It's an ugly workaround, but should do it. Let us know how it works.
>
> Of course it "works". I pretty well know how to write a shell script.
>

> The problem is that this differs from the user interface of
> other devices, e.g. floppy or cdrom. And it does not show whether
> the device is mounted or not (=change the icon).
>
> Would be much better to extend the functionality of the desktop
> to allow arbitrary commands to be run before/after
> mounting/unmounting.

Maybe automount or supermount can do this for you.
Mandrake and SuSE have scripts or KDE extensions to display new icons for new
drives automatically.

You could also check bugs.kde.org if this pre-mount/post-unmount command idea
is already known and maybe even implemented in the next version.

Cheers,
Kevin