new laptop problems

corey_s at cox.net corey_s at cox.net
Mon Dec 29 23:56:19 GMT 2003

On Tue, Dec 30, 2003 at 12:26:57AM -0700, Nathan England wrote:
> Unfortunately, this did not work.
> KDE seems to be okay, but dvd playback still burps, and quake3 still
> hangs. And when I am working in Kate, I can be typing something, and
> then it will stop and I keep typing, then it has to race to catch up to
> me. But it doesn't do that in Gnome...
>
> Anything else?

  Check to see if a program/deamon named 'fam' is running when while KDE
  is up. If so, kill it, and see if that makes a difference.

  Also, check your $home/.xsession-errors for any clues.

  You said you looked at top, so I figure you also kept it up and watched
  for anything occuring at exactly the same time you experience the delays?

  Finally, make sure there aren't any automounter deamons running that
  might be attempting to periodicaly mount/monitor some device.

  Assuming all that fails to bring to light anything, try starting kde,
  then with no other apps running, do a 'ps aux > kdeps.txt' as root -
  then do the same thing with gnome... ugh, then painstakingly go through
  each one and try to locate any suspicious looking deamons/programs running
  under kde that aren't running under gnome.

  If _all_else_fails,  install a new distro... try gentoo, it rocks.

  Seeing as you seem to prefer kde, I would suggest that it may well be better
  to try a new distro than to give up and revert to gnome!

  Good luck!

Beers,

Corey