Kmix volume defaults

Nick THOMPSON nickthompson at agere.com
Sun Dec 21 13:01:33 GMT 2003

I just switched to using ALSA (0.9.2). I used OSS before and had the
similar problem.

The default startup seems to have the master and PCM volume as zero with
both channels muted (ens1371). I can change this and get sound working
fine. I then save the settings from kmix's file menu. Next time I boot
though, the original muted settings are restored. In the manual a mixer
module is mentioned under the sound group (KDE3.1.3 MDK9.2) but this
doesn't appear on my system. Is there a way to get reasonable defaults
after a reboot?

Interestingly aumix shows only my usb sound device (webcam) which has
only a mic. I don't seem to be able to see my sound card at all with
that, so no help there.

Any ideas? Thanks,
Nick.