how to set character encoding in kcontrol ?

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Sun Dec 21 01:59:06 GMT 2003

Martin Koller wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I know there once was a setting in kcontrol to define the character encoding
> for KDE, which I used to define iso8859-15, to be able to use the EURO sign.
>
> I'm not finding this option anymore - nor in KDE-3.2 and neither in
> KDE-3.1.3...
>
> Any ideas how I can define this now or which character encoding KDE uses by
> default?

KDE itself use UNICode by default.  Some applications have ways to set the encoding for
that application.

How KDE interprets 8 bid encoding should be selected by your choice of Country/Region &
Language.

> P.S: My problem is, that I can't use the EURO sign currently ...

The KCM module "Country/Region & Language" is also where you can select your
representation for "Money".

Now if you question is how to get: "€" in place of: "EUR", I'm not exactly clear about
that except that the: "€" symbol is on page number 32 in UNICode.

Did you try changing your: "Currency symbol" in the KCM?

Or do you need to insert it when you are typing a document?

That would be a keyboard issue and I don't know if keyboard layouts have been upgraded to
use it.  Otherwise, you can use KCharSelect (it is in Table 32) with other symbols.

--
JRT