KDE .Xsession workaround

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Wed Dec 17 20:37:23 GMT 2003

Mike Hoye wrote:
> I've been trying to get KDM to handle .xsession files the way I presume
> they're supposed to work,

Actually, KDM doesn't directly support ".xsession".  If your: "Xsession" file doesn't
source it, then it does not get run.

> that being to let you set up and run a whole
> bunch of programs automagically every time you log in. There's not really
> a mechanism to do that in KDM, as far as I could see - you either get to
> choose you WM and no programs, or your run your .Xsession file that has
> the WM written in as the last line.
>
> That's kind of gross, so I put together a workaround, a marginal hack that
> lets me take my old .Xsession file and use it under KDM, while still
> letting me choose different window managers.
>
> The details of it are here:
>
> http://neon.polkaroo.net/~mhoye/blarg/archives/001645.html
>
> I'd be happy to hear any suggestions.

First, as I mentioned above: KDM does nothing with your: ".xsession" file.  All KDM does
is call: "Xsession" with the session type string as the parameter.  E.G.:

	Xsession kde

What happens after that is TOTALLY dependent on your: "Xsession" script, and that script
is *very* distro dependent.

I don't have a: "/etc/X11/Xsession.d/" directory.  This is probably distro dependent,
although it appears to be a reasonable idea.  The important thing is that the scripts in
it will NOT be run unless the: "Xsession" script sources them. :-(

--
JRT