KDE Desktop (non-)positioning

Jerome Yuzyk jerome at supernet.ab.ca
Mon Dec 8 21:22:11 GMT 2003

Why does the KDE desktop have such little icon-positioning smarts? I can
download, or drag-and-drop files to my desktop and it's anyone's guess
where the file's icon will go. It might be where I drop it, or it might
not. Files I open from the desktop that create a backup file might have
the backup appear next to the original icon, or maybe not. There's also no
automatic align-to-grid setting. Geez, Windows and every other GUI has
been able to do this since the early 1990s, so why can't KDE?