Problem with APM

Jeremy MONNET jmonnet80 at free.fr
Sun Aug 24 21:41:48 BST 2003

Quoting hgfelger at hgfelger.de:

> Salut Jeremy,
> On Sun, 24 Aug 2003, Jeremy MONNET wrote:
> > Quoting Martin Koller <m.koller at surfeu.at>:
> >
> > 4.2) ... I tried to update everything, but nothing better with the new
> versions
> > ... The only things that are better : when I'm running knoppix on live-cd,
> the
> > apm with kde 3.2 is running well. If I install it on the harddisk, it
> crashes
> > while trying to standby. I looked at every files in /etc, and they are
> exactly
> > the same ...
> > Can it be a problem with the power management of the HD ? Or Maybe I don't
> have
> > enough swap (but I Have more than 700 MB, and 256 MB of RAM) ?
> > I installed a aurox and it worked ...
> > And with the newest version of knoppix (live-cd always) : at the beginning
> the
> > apm works just fine, but if I open something heavy such like the
> openoffice
> > then it crashes while it goes to standby ...
> might it be DMA related. Did you try to disable DMA for the harddisk,
> before you standby? This would be normally done by
>  hdparm -d 0 /dev/hda
> if your harddisk is the first-master, as usual.

I've tried again to disable it (and the power management of the disk also) but
without any results ... But I don't think there's a problem of configuration of
the system, because it works with everything (without graphical interface, with
gnome, with fluxbox, icewm, ...) and it crashes only with kde ...

When I run knoppix (maybe I already said it ?) as live-cd, the standby is
running if I open just a few things : a game, a web browser. But if I open
OpenOffice also for example, then it crashes. That's why I thought of a problem
with the swap ... but it doesn't freeze with openoffice under gnome ...

And, of course it runs with other distributions (mandrake for example). My
problem is that I'm in love with apt-get ;o)

Jeremy

--
------
Vive le libre, et vive knoppix !