kprinter dialog bad fonts

Richard rholt at telcel.net.ve
Thu Aug 14 17:26:20 BST 2003

On Thursday 14.August.2003 02:57 am, Chris Jensen wrote:
> Hi,
> I've been quite happily using Open Office and kprinter for some time.
> However I recently upgraded to kde 3.1.2 and open office 1.1 beta2
> (under linux gentoo) and now when I print to kprinter in openoffice,
> the dialog appears to be using a bad font.
> Every character in the dialog is displayed as a square (the way
> characters usually appear when the current font doesn't actually
> contain a representation of that character)
> If I print from a kde application the dialog is perfectly legible.
> And the same goes for running kprinter from a konsole.
>
> So the problem seems to be specific to open office (I don't have any
> other non-kde apps that I print from that I can test this with)
> Theres no error messages being sent to stdout by either of them.
>
> Like I said, this problem has only surfaced with the latest version
> of kde and open office (I upgraded both at the same time, so I'm not
> really sure which's at fault, though I have to wonder how openoffice
> could cause this), the printer is setup the same way it's always
> been, that is, standard generic printer, print command "kprinter
> --stdin"
>
> If anyone has any ideas I'd appreciate them.

I'd go download the latest OOo11rc3 at
http://es.openoffice.org/project/www/dev_docs/source/download.html
or perhaps Gentoo has a later version. The rc3 may be replaced with an
rc4 soon if all goes well and will become the OOo11.

11b2 had some problems that have been fixed.
The final version of OOo11 should be up in a few weeks.

regards,
Richard.
http://es.openoffice.org/index.html