need to play window media on Linux...

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Tue Aug 12 02:11:18 BST 2003

Weston M. Price wrote:
> As stated I believe mplayer to be the best option. I have no problems
> whatsoever playing Windows media files on my machine.

Mplayer *does* have hardware requirements which are a subset of the video
hardware that will run XFree86!

The documentation is not very clear if it will run OK on a basic bitblit
accelerated frame buffer card (e.g. ATI Rage IIC 4MB).  Perhaps the Gatos
driver is all that it needed for ATI Mach 64, I haven't tried it.

But people should be aware that this won't work on everything.

--
JRT