kSirc: 'bad channel key'

Lateef mystilleef at yifan.net
Thu Apr 24 21:44:54 BST 2003

Hello fellow KDE users,

I use kSirc, a KDE IRC client. I love it. It is simple and easy to use, and I
hope further developments include more powerful features. I do have a
problem, though. I am unable to join channel that has been restricted from
public access with a password. In other words, channels that you need a valid
key to join. Normally, to join a channel that has a password code I would
need to type the following on any other IRC client;

/Join <#channelname> <password>

For example, if I wanted to join channel 'KDE' which has the password
'donkey', I would simply type the following;

/Join #KDE donkey

For some odd reasons, I have been unable to join 'passworded' channels with
the protocols I illustrated above. Whenever I try to join a channel that has
a key, I get the following feed back;

Can't join #XXXXXXX: bad channel key

I know I have the right channel key because I use it on other IRC clients, it
works! I have tried using different approaches including adding
bracket/parenthesis to the channel key but all to no avail. I am unsure as
whether this is a bug or whether I am doing something wrong. I have siffed
through the mailing list and also performed searches on google. My friends,
you are my last resort. I'd be grateful for any help or suggestions.

Thanks in advance.
--
Regards,

Mystilleef