Kde 3.1.1 won't start

Vittorio Ballestra vittorio.ballestra at infogestnet.it
Tue Apr 15 08:48:01 BST 2003

Hello,
I'm experiencing a very strange behaviour  and maybe someone can explaing
what's going on.

First of all my system :
	Debian testing
	gcc 3.2.3
	XFree 4.2.1
	fontconfig from gnome2.2 packages
	Kde 3.1.1 build from sources with konstruct

Everything was running ok (gnome and kde with font antialiased perfectly) for
almost 2 weeks. The only problem was konsole that was using some bad default
fixed font or encoding: the whole terminal was full of square and I had to
change to some personalized font by hand.
Yesterday I've decided to understand more deeply how was Xft2 configured and
twicked with its configuration files. Don't know if this is a coincidence or
not but since then I can't start kde anymore (X and gnome still are working
with good font antialiasing).

I get the following messages :

kbuildsycoca: Recreating ksycoca file
kbuildsycoca: Database is up to date
DCOP aborting call from 'anonymous-1819' to 'kded'
ERROR: KUniqueApplication: DCOP communication error!
DCOP aborting call from 'anonymous-1809' to 'kcontrol'
ERROR: KUniqueApplication: DCOP communication error!

If I remove every conf file (even .qt directory) then the preferences wizard
starts but when finished kwin dies and kde won't start.

I tried to revert to my original font configuration and nothing changes.
I don't know what to do. Don't want to recompile the whole thing again also I
don't see any reason why it could change anything without changing something
else.

Someone has some hint ?

TIA,