nVidia

Ian Porter ian.porter3 at ntlworld.com
Mon Apr 14 20:45:04 BST 2003

Hi

On Monday 14 April 2003 12:48 pm, David Legg wrote:
> On Sun, 2003-04-13 at 20:36, Ian Porter wrote:
> > Hi all
> >
> > I have just got myself a new computer with a nVidia TI 4200 graphics card
> > :), (running MD 9.1), but I have tried to install the drivers
> > (NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4349.run) for
> > it from the nvidia web site and once I have changed the line from "nv" to
> > "nvidia" in the XF86Config-4 file and restart X it always displays a
> > black screen and does nothing else :(.
> >
> > I have included the XF86Config-4 file, of course with the "nv" selected
> > because other wish I would not be able to startx :).
> >
> > Just wondering if there is any silly mistake that I have done ?
>
> Yes you have. You need to take out or comment out the Load "v4l" line in
> your XF86Config-4 file (you've got the glx module loaded) and of course
> change the nv driver to nvidia. I have attached my working config file
> as reference for you.

Cheers thanks for the file, I did take out "v4l" but it has still come up with
blank screen and this time I was unable to uninstall the drivers :( so was
not sure which file I need to reinstall the "nv" drivers so I reinstalled
MD9.1

I have created the rpm files from the source files to see if this is able to
correct the problem but I still have the same problem :(

I am not sure if this helps but this is the listing from the lspci

00:00.0 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8377 [KT400 AGP] Host Bridge
00:01.0 PCI bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8235 PCI Bridge
00:0d.0 Ethernet controller: NetVin NV5000SC
00:10.0 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB (rev 80)
00:10.1 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB (rev 80)
00:10.2 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB (rev 80)
00:11.0 ISA bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8235 ISA Bridge
00:11.1 IDE interface: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C586/B/686A/B PIPC Bus
Master IDE (rev 06)
00:11.5 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8233 AC97 Audio
Controller (rev 50)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV28 [GeForce4 Ti 4200
AGP 8x] (rev a1)

Also in the configuration file that is a reference to a "NvAGP" what does that
mean ?

Thanks very much for the help
Ian