redhat's new desktop policy

Jim Hines jhines at iolinc.net
Tue Sep 17 05:01:16 BST 2002

On Monday 16 September 2002 05:05 pm, Amir Tal wrote:
> you all (i am guessing here..) read slashdot, so i guess you saw the
> article speaking about the new policy RH are taking in their new beta.

> i switched to debian a few weeks ago, so i couldnt care less what RH are
> doing on their future releases, but i do find it kind of offensive that
> they have the nurve (yes, i do believe its nurve) to decide for their users
> what will their desktop look like.

This is exactly what the GPL was written for. If they want to make changes,
they are perfectly welcome to, thanks to that license. Would you rather have
software that you are not allowed to make changes too?

This doesn't bother me too much, I would like to continue with my current
desktop, and I will still have the option. I will just simply choose not to
use RH WM installation. I praise them for exercising their rights under the
GPL.

--
Jim Hines
Redhat Linux OS