Konquerer freezes (defeated by Konqueror)

Tom Kuiper tbhk at dsnra.jpl.nasa.gov
Tue Sep 10 23:07:00 BST 2002

Kevin,

Your suggestion worked while I was at home with my laptop, ethernet PCMCIA
card removed.  I added my hostname as an alias for localhost.

Now, back in the office, ethernet card plugged back in, I can't get Konqueror
to work for me.  I've tried:
*       removing the alias to localhost
*       removing the line for my hostname but leaving the alias for localhost
*       not starting up diald -- don't need it here anyway
*       reseating the PCMCIA card to restart the network connection
I either cannot navigate the file system at all, or Konqueror hangs after
a few (2-5) directory traversals.

One clue.  Konqueror is not able to connect to a WWW server on our local subnet
even though Netscape can.

I think I'm going to have to use MC or TkDesk if I'm going to get any work
done.  Pity.

Regards

Tom

> From: Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer at gmx.at>
> To: kde at mail.kde.org
> Subject: Re: [kde] Konquerer freezes when network not connected
> Date: Sun, 8 Sep 2002 12:17:11 +0200
>
> On Sunday, 8. September 2002 06:36, Tom Kuiper wrote:
>
> > Actually, no it is not.  The device eth0 is a PCMCIA card which I pull
> > out when I leave the office.  I the depend solely on PPP, but of course
> > I'm not always connected via PPP.
>
> Ah, I think that's the problem then.
> Some KDE stuff like DCOP use the hostname as an identifier and so it hast
> to be resolved sometimes.
> In your case it resolved to an IP address that wasn't reachable.
>
> > 127.0.0.1 comes before my IP address in the hosts table, so my
> > unexpanded hostname (without the domain) would always be resolved to
> > 127.0.0.1 Is that OK?
>
> Yes, think so.
> If in doubt remove the entry for the normal (eth0) address.
>
> An entry like
> 127.0.0.1     localhost       hostname
> should be sufficient.
>
> This way the hostname is always resolved to 127.0.0.1
>
> Cheers,
> kevin
>
> - --
> Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer at gmx.at>
> Developer at the Kmud Project http://www.kmud.de/

Internet:       tbhk at DSNra.JPL.NASA.gov (137.79.89.31)
SnailMail:      Jet Propulsion Lab 169-506, Pasadena, CA 91109
Phone/fax:      (818) 354-5623/8895
WWW:            http://DSNra.JPL.NASA.gov/~kuiper/