Bitmap fonts in KDE3

Tore Anderson tore at linpro.no
Mon Sep 9 12:37:18 BST 2002

I want to use bitmap fonts in Konsole. However, Konsole's font
selection dialog doesn't display any bitmap fonts apart from
"fixed".

I know the fonts are visible to the X server, as they show up
in xlsfonts' output - and rxvt uses them happily. I've searched
the archives and was just able to find a handful of posts
suggesting that it's impossible to use bitmap fonts in conjunction
with anti-aliasing. However, enabling or disabling AA has no effect
on Konsole's font list (also, some posts seem to suggest that this
is not true for KDE3).

Trying to edit ~/.share/config/konsolerc manually doesn't work
either. The 'defaultfont' variable has some bizarre way of
describing the font ("Courier,10,-1,5,50,0,0,0,1,0") - and if I
change this to "nexus" - it still refuses to display any other
than the default font. "konsole --fn nexus" just spits back

 QFont::setRawMode(): Invalid XLFD: "nexus"

In kcontrol's font settings dialog, nexus doesn't appear in the
list. However, the bitmap fonts which has aliases or names in
the "X syntax" (like "-ay-shine.no-medium-r-.....") appear, except
in the dialog for selecting fixed width fonts. If I try to use
them in any of the others, KDE seems to be unable to render them.
Every single one appears visually alike each other - certainly
not how they should look.

I'm all out of ideas on how to make my fonts work, and would
greatly appreciate some suggestions or help.

I am using KDE 3.0.3 (installed with the Debian packages found
on the official ftp site).

Kind regards,
--
Tore Anderson