KDE 3.0 Problems: launching Galeon from KMail and shutting system down

Robert Black Eagle rbe at flash.net
Fri Sep 6 14:44:32 BST 2002

On Thursday 05 September 2002 11:09 pm, Jeremy Lunn wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 05, 2002 at 01:16:37PM -0500, Robert Black Eagle wrote:
> > For one, have you tried Ctrl-Alt-Esc and putting the skull and crossbones
> > cursor over Konqueror to kill it?
>
> Konqueror isn't running and Ctrl-Alt-Esc does nothing.

Sorry.  I thought you said you were having the problem with konqueror.

> > Have you looked at the output of .xsession-errors (in your user
> > directory)?
>
> Just had a play around with it then.  Nothing is outputted to
> .xsession-errors until I pressed Ctrl-Alt-Del after it froze up after
> three attempts to shut down.  The output follows:
>
> ICE default IO error handler doing an exit(), pid = 626, errno = 0
> ICE default IO error handler doing an exit(), pid = 546, errno = 0
> ICE default IO error handler doing an exit(), pid = 449, errno = 0
> ICE default IO error handler doing an exit(), pid = 455, errno = 0
> ICE default IO error handler doing an exit(), pid = 453, errno = 0
> ICE default IO error handler doing an exit(), pid = 451, errno = 2
> kdesud: ERROR: Fatal IO error, exiting...
> kdeinit: Fatal IO error: client killed
> kdeinit: sending SIGHUP to children.
> KLauncher: Exiting on signal 1
> klauncher: Fatal IO error: client killed
> /usr/bin/x-session-manager: artsshell: command not found
> kdeinit: sending SIGTERM to children.
> kdeinit: Exit.
>
> > It will tell you what is going on.  Sounds like a problem with the
> > installation.

No.  I had a problem like that (sounds like a misconfigured program) and
would retype "kdeinit" on a terminal line to get things back to running
again.  However, my final solution was to login as root and go to the Control
system, create a fake user (called "Fake"), remove my regular user, go into
another terminal and rename my user file <user.old> and then recreate my user
and delete the fake one (you need the fake one because it will not delete an
only user).

I then copied the essential files from <user.old> into my recreated <user>
(but not the desktop icons -- do those from scratch because sometimes the
.kdelink files get messed up).  If that fixes the problem, I would make sure
I had a good firewall in place before getting active on the Internet again.

After a few weeks, if you have everything working right, remove the
<user.old> from your computer.

- --
Robert Black Eagle